Thursday, March 29, 2012

Observations of a Personal Friend

by Clarence Tillenius

"Just finished re-reading your history of your father Gordon Ames: I must tell you I had both sympathy and deep admiration for Gordon - in contrast to all his brothers and sisters who were all tall and good looking, Gordon with his hunchback suffered many indignities what he largely - and usually successfully - hid from the world.

To give you an example: one morning early I was alone in his store with Gordon when a man walked in - someone I had not met but I think probably some distant relative of Gordon's - and his opening greeting was: "Haven't yet gotten your head up off your shoulders, have you Ames?" Gordon, quick witted as always, came back with: "If your head was so full of brains as mine is, ya' wouldn't care where it was!!"

I, myself, had been deeply disgusted at such a comment being directed to Gordon - who can help such a disfigurement caused by no fault of his own? And I sensed then - as I did many times after - that Gordon's constant high spirits and public merriment disguised a sensitive nature often and deeply hurt by these supposed joking references to his handicap.

What I admired in him then, as I do to this day, was his ability to make the best of his handicap and try his best to provide the good life for your mother and you in spite of those lapses when the black moods would overcome him and alcohol to drown his handicap would -though rarely enough- take over.

This is just a personal observation, Brian, but one I thought I should pass on to you."

Best Regards,
Clarence

No comments: