Thursday, March 29, 2012

Clarence Tillenius: Painter and Homesteader

1913-2012

 "The paintings of Clarence Tillenius transport you to the wild open plains of the past, into the protective and secretive worlds hidden around us, and lift you to where you can feel the primeval vastness of the forest and the mountains. Life as it was, as we often nostalgically wish for, will be opened up to you, evoking both joy and sadness and a peaceful sense of appreciation for the man who painted it, Clarence Tillenius." Dr. Philip H.R. Stepney, Director Provincial Museum of Alberta.

 

Message of Farewell to His Friends 

I believe that there is in the universe an underlying rhythm, a stream of life common to all ages; that the work of an artist who could tap into that rhythm would be timeless, it would be understood in any age, since man himself is bound by, and responds to, the same rhythm as the animals.
When that rhythm calls me to a universe other than this one; I ask each of you, who wish to remember me, to look at my paintings or my dioramas. As long as my work is appreciated by the generations that follow, my work will have tapped into that rhythm and will be timeless; even though I have now crossed that great Divide.
 Clarence Tillenius


No comments: