Friday, March 24, 2017

Fred Radford's Hunting Stories


My brother George and I used to do quite a bit of hunting, moose or deer.   I remember in the 40’s when we got a moose way up towards Thaddeus Lake.  Mother always wanted to go with us, to be with us when we packed it out.   We were about three and a half to four miles north of where my brother George lived, so she went with us.   Along what was just a trail through the bush and we’d dress the moose, cut it up, and put it in the packsacks to carry it home.  After that it became a tradition that mother did every fall when George and I used to hunt.


             Fred Radford             Harriet Radford     George Radford

Speaking of hunting I never forget the time I went hunting north of the Airport Lake.  I was up on a hill and I looked down below and there were three moose.   I took a shot at the bull but I think I missed it.  There was also a cow and a calf there too, and the cow came belting up the hill.  I could hear it coming, but it went out of sight in the bush, then all of a sudden there it was a 100 feet from me.   I had to shoot it as I thought she was coming after me, but I think she was just running and didn’t know where she was going.  But anyway we got that moose.

Years later, after I moved to Sioux, I was hunting with Ostrum.  We used would go in that same area and we did quite a bit of hunting in that area.  The last moose I shot was standing in the middle of the road.  We shot him and he just wandered to a hill.  We just turned the truck around, backed up and put him in.  It was then that I said to Ostrum, that is the end of my hunting, I’m going to hang up my gun. I felt it was getting too easy.  That 1954, and it was the last bit of hunting I did.  I let them enjoy their lives the same as I have mine.

(An interview recorded and transcribed by Fred's son John Radford)

1 comment:

Harry said...

Enjoyed the read of the history of the area. Even after all these years this place is just as wild as ever. Moose Bears Wolves and Bobcats still roam about. People are far between.