Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Could Whap Them All Up To Here!




What had left Gordon Ames handicapped from childhood wasn’t well understood. The story was that shortly after his birth, a lady left to look after him had pressed some “milk” out of his wee breasts, which later became infected and cause him severe curvature of the spine.
The true cause was likely tuberculosis of the spine, commonly known as Potts disease, or more correctly as kyphosis. Once prevalent among children, this disease, which attacks the inter-vertebral cartilages causing the spine to curve into a bow and a distinctive hump, is now rare in the developed world.

Understood or not, in a world less accommodating to those with handicaps, “spunk” was a valuable attribute, and Gordon certainly had “spunk”. Observing himself, photographed as the shortest in his grade one photo, Gordon would comment with some satisfaction that he could “whap them all up to here”, pointing to a position well beyond the mid-point of the row of boys. The innocent cruelty of children is something Gordon learned to manage with his fists.

Later, he surpassed others with his intellect. He nurtured a sharp mind that was quick with figures, and sharp comment. In part, his clever mind compensated for his physical limitations. As Amesdale’s general merchant, he received gasoline in 45 gallon drums, and with pride would comment that through careful planning he could do what “real men” were unable to do, and stand them on end.

A glimpse of how Gordon dealt with his handicap is provided by his good friend Clarence Tillenius:

“I must tell you I had both sympathy and deep admiration for Gordon - in contrast to all his brothers and sisters who were all tall and good looking, Gordon with his hunchback suffered many indignities what he largely - and usually successfully - hid from the world.


To give you an example: one morning early I was alone in his store with Gordon when a man walked in - someone I had not met but I think was probably some distant relative of Gordon's - and his opening greeting was: "Haven't yet gotten your head up off your shoulders, Ames?" Gordon, quick witted as always, came back with: "If your head was so full of brains as mine is, ya' wouldn't care where it was!!"


I, myself, had been deeply disgusted at such a comment being directed to Gordon - who can help such a disfigurement caused by no fault of his own? And I sensed then - as I did many times after - that Gordon's constant high spirits and public merriment disguised a sensitive nature often and deeply hurt by these supposed joking references to his handicap.


What I admired in him then, as I do to this day, was his ability to make the best of his handicap and try his best to provide the good life for your mother and you in spite of those lapses when the black moods would overcome him, and alcohol to drown his handicap would - though rarely enough - take over.”


Though imperfect, as we are all imperfect, I too admire him, and appreciate his example. If I ever have challenges as great as his, I hope to be able to do so well.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'm really happy you posted this story. I know how proud you were of your dad, but its really neat to hear other people describe him the same way, but from a different poit of veiw. I wish I knew him.

Nana/Nanny M. said...

This was a great article. I was pleased to know more about your Dad.

Allison said...

I had never known the real reason why he had the handicap. I've just heard Grandma's version for so long! :) Thanks for posting this story about him.